Friday, February 4, 2011

Dirty Rice



If you know me, you know I just sang this blog title like "Dirty Pop," from 'NSYNC.

Ahem.

Anyway, I love Cajun food. So much! I found this recipe online a week ago. And decided immediately that we must give it a try. It's spicy, comforting, and crazy simple.

Dirty Rice

1 lb of pork sausage (Jimmy Dean- hot is good, or mild, whatever)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red peppper, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced (I used my Pampered Chef garlic press)
2 teaspoons (or more) red pepper flakes
1-2 teaspoons of Cajun seasoning
1 32-oz box of beef stock (I always get low- or no-sodium)
2 cups of rice

Heat up a saute pan that has a lid. Add the sausage, onion, peppers, and garlic. Sprinkle with the red pepper flakes and Cajun seasoning. I tend to be a little heavy-handed with the spice, because we like it like that. Adjust according to your tastes. The recipe as written is on the light side. Cook until the sausage is crumbled and cooked through and the veggies are tender. Add the rice and the beef stock. Bring to a boil, and turn the heat down to low. Simmer for 20 minutes.

This made a lot more than I expected. But I really liked the proportion of everything, so I guess you could cut it in half, and it would be okay. But I don't like leaving a half of a tube of sausage in the fridge. Somehow it always gets shoved in the back of the meat drawer, never to be found again. Until it walks out on its own.

Kidding.

Anyway, try this! It's so easy. And it's a great weeknight dinner!

3 comments:

  1. Do you know the serving size and amount of servings? I'm trying to put this in to my recipe builder to figure out WW points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Serving size? Probably 1.5 cups. It makes 8 cups of rice. So I'd say it feeds 6-8.
    You could make it with brown rice, too. But I don't think the points value is any different for white v. brown rice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and you could most definitely use turkey sausage, too.

    ReplyDelete