Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sweet and Sour Meatloaf

I love meatloaf. Not the singer so much, although Dylan likes him....
But I digress...

The idea of a sweet and sour meatloaf was a crazy good idea. So I wanted to try this recipe. It's been in my "to make recipe" folder for a month now.

The pros: amazing flavor, meatloaf revisited. Would be delicious with rice and stir fried veggies. Heck, just the sauce would be amazing on some chicken stir fry. It reminds me a lot of my mom's chinese chicken wings.

The cons: not your typical meatloaf. Also, it crumbled apart when I served it, so I don't know if the meatloaf sandwiches I had planned to eat this week will work out.

Here's the recipe:

1 1/2 pounds ground beef (I had 2lbs)
1 cup dry bread crumbs (I used oatmeal)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 eggs
1 teaspoon dried minced onion (I grated some fresh onion, about 3T)
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons prepared mustard (I used grainy mustard instead)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, bread crumbs, salt, ground black pepper, eggs, onion flakes and 1/2 of the can of tomato sauce. Mix together well and place into a 5x9 inch loaf pan.
Push the meatloaf down into the pan forming a well for the sauce around all the edges.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the remaining tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, white sugar and mustard. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
After meatloaf has cooked for 40 minutes, remove from oven and pour sauce over the top of the meatloaf.
Return to oven and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 more minutes. Let sit 5 minutes before removing from pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment