Friday, August 28, 2009

Warm German Potato Salad

I had some authentic warm German potato salad at Oktoberfest many years ago, and ever since, I've been on the hunt for another recipe that hits the spot. I haven't been successful. Until now. Most of the ones I try have mayo or sour cream, and the one I had didn't. It was gooey and sweet, but had a vinegry bite.

I discovered a recipe on Allrecipes.com and tweaked it a bit. Here's what I did.

Warm German Potato Salad
6-9 small/medium red potatoes
6 slices of bacon
2 tbsp flour
3 tbsp white sugar
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup cider vinegar
salt and pepper
1/2 cup chopped green onions

Boil the potatoes whole in a pot of salted water. Drain and cool. Unless you have bionic fingers. These are some hot potatoes (pun intended.. har har)!


Slice them into rounds. Or chunks. Whatever makes you happy!


Slice the bacon into small pieces. If it gives you trouble, stick it in the freezer for a few minutes. I do this with raw chicken breasts and steak if I need to slice it thinly. It keeps the meat solid so you can slice it easier. Sprinkle it in a frying pan. Render out the fat. Scoop out the crumbles with a slotted spoon, but leave the grease in the pan. (You're smelling it in your head right now, aren't you?)


Sprinkle the flour, sugar, water and vinegar into the bubbly bacon grease. Stir with a spoon or whisk (if your pan allows such metal concoctions) until blended and thick.


Toss in the potatoes. Okay, don't toss them. Gently lay them in the pan. You don't want broken spuds. They are delicate creatures, you know! Slowly stir the potatoes to coat. Add the bacon. Sprinkle the green onions on top.


Serve warm or room temperature. Which my mom always calls "BT" (body temp). That kinda grosses me out though. Do you really want to think about body temp while you're trying to eat? No.

My next recipe will be the summer salad I ripped off from Panera Bread Co. :-O
Stay tuned!!

2 comments:

  1. An easy French Onion soup recipe would be the business lol and how to make a bread bowl... speaking of Panera Bread ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this style of potato salad--it's pretty much the only potato salad I'll bother with! I'll make it as a main dish and brown a little sliced apple/pork sausage (from the local co-op) instead of the bacon. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete